Search Engine Optimization is the process and a technique to modify the website in better way to rank better in the search engine results page (SERP).
There are many steps involved in the process, many of which include the following:
- W3C Validation.
- Naming structure of files for search engines.
- Creating a page Title.
- Creating a robots.txt file.
- Creation of a sitemap.
- 404 error handling page.
- Meta tags like Description Tag, Keyword Tag
- Site navigational structure
- Using of H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6.
- Using of Alt Tag.
- Creating a Keyword rich Anchor Tag.
While this is a short list, there are many considerations that have to account for when optimizing your website. Best process to get your site coded in a search engine friendly fashion.